3.19.2008

This and that...

I made two exquisite loaves of banana bread yesterday. Perfect in every way. Skip has been asking for some more cinnamon swirl bread so I better make some of that today. I'll need to make another crusty artisan bread for myself with rosemary and thyme. Sounds like work.

I'm going out for coffee this morning in the hopes of meeting a lurking Pegger. More than likely I'll end up sitting alone at Ukrops but that's ok. Their Southern Pecan coffee is worth it. I hope it isn't hazelnut day.

We're still tripping in Bizarro Land. I want Skip to snap out of his funk but I'm also feeling a bit possessive of my own state of sappiness. It's been a long while since I experienced a calmness like this for any extended period of time. Recently some doubts and selfesteem issues surfaced but I successfully wrestled them into submission. I can't help how other people manifest their anxiety. If they choose to lob rocks at me I need to learn to walk away. It shouldn't matter when they're high fiving each other and laughing at their "victory". At least I'm not getting pelted with stones. The whole sticks and stones thing. Basic stuff we learned in Kindergarten. Or should have. Along with "share" and "would you jump off a bridge if all your friends were doing it?" Peer pressure is some scary stuff and it doesn't appear to weaken with age.

I met a woman the other day while our dds were playing. She introduced herself and we made small talk. And right in the middle of my sentence she looked over my shoulder and started talking to someone else. Apparently she missed those days in Kindergarten when they taught politeness and "don't interrupt". I kind of shrugged and walked away. The worst part of the whole scene was that Skip saw the whole exchange. I guess he was expecting my mood to shatter but it didn't. I sat down with him and we talked about this and that for the next hour and the woman who couldn't even fake interest in what I was saying sat alone. Kindergarten. Who knew?

0 comments: