10.16.2007

What is your earliest memory?

My earliest memory is also my most horrific. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5. I clearly remember my first day of kindergarten and this was well before then. I remember nothing leading up to it but it still haunts me in nightmares to this day.
I loved my room back then, with its tiny pink rosebuds trailing up and down the pale wallpaper. The antique handhooked rug was a constant source of amusement. A small vermilion stain reminded me never to leave my crayons out near the heating vent. Sadly the rug was left behind when I bugged out of an abusive relationship 20 odd years later. My bed hugged the far corner of the room. Near it's foot sat my little dress up table. My dad built it along with the little white stool. It's forty years later and I still have it. The stool as well. The mirror, with globe lights surrounding it, is long gone. I see it often in my dreams though.
Reflected in the dreadful mirror was a window. Soft white ruffly curtains framed it. They were drawn back with a pink ribbon. I could see the woods beyond it and the jagged slash of raw earth that lay open in the backyard. The roots of trees and bushes stuck out like exposed bones. It wasn't so bad outside, in the sun, but in the mirror...it was always cold and dim.

to be continued....

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Yikes, unless this is a fictional story, I just want to travel back in time and hug that tiny girl. :(