10.09.2007

What face are you wearing today?

No man can for any considerable time wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without finally getting bewildered as to which is the true one. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

There are people who will expend more energy trying to convince others that they are compassionate and sincere, rather than actually being that way. I'm sure you know someone like that...someone who is always offering "prayers" or "hugs" or lavishing you with praise as long as someone witnesses the "random act of kindness". When you no longer serve their purpose the attention is withdrawn, the praise and false concern redirected to someone else...a more PC candidate perhaps.

I've seen so much of it over the years I've spent online. People being used because it was convenient. People being elevated to a new status because they had information or contacts that were needed by someone else. Once that need was fulfilled the person got cast out of the clique, their name smeared while the hyenas circled.

I've seen some truly good people online as well. The ones who give and give only to get battered and beaten time and time again. And, amazingly, are still willing to help knowing the outcome. Who is the weaker person? The person willing to lend a helping hand knowing it'll only get slapped later? Or the person who fawns all over someone for gain, all the while thinking they are doing the other person a favour? I'll gladly sit next to the former even if it's just the two of us.

I guess compassion and support in one's time of need is relative to what one has to offer in exchange. It is times like this that one is able to see who wears a mask and those who have no need for one. Sometimes it can be quite shocking, in fact.

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Aww, I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I had no idea about your dad and his health issues, I was totally OTL. That's what I get for not reading any blogs in the last few weeks. I'm praying for you, and your family, and I really mean it. Not just huggles and snuggles. <3