10.01.2007

My Dad is in the hospital again.

He had a CTscan last Thursday. He got the results today. He was admitted this evening. The scan showed something on his liver, his kidney, and near his prostate. He has gallstones and a bowel obstruction. Mom tried to call me but I was at soccer practice. She called my brother who lives in Pennsylvania and he left a message on my answering machine. My other brother, who lives close to Mom and Dad, was nowhere to be found.
Mike, PA brother, was down last week to cut some firewood for them since they heat with wood in an outdoor furnace. My other brother was supposed to help him but he said he was too tired. Too tired to even drive over and see him. Mom said that she would leave the wood for lazy brother to split but I hope she doesn't hold her breath. Looks like dh and I will be doing it. Dh will probably force them to switch to oil which is the logical thing. Dad is 84 and Mom is 76. They can't keep going outside to throw a big chunk of wood in the stove.
Dad was weighed today and he's 139 lbs at 6 ft. They immediately hooked him up with a saline IV because he was dehydrated from puking so much. Mom said they were talking about a bowel resection. She said that Dad told her he threw up some brown fluid the other day that smelled of bowel. Either he vomitted fecal matter or it was old blood. Either way it's bad news. He's having a colonoscopy done in the morning.

So Mom is home all alone. She's never been alone. They've been married for 50 years. The neighbour lady offered to stay with her tonight but Mom told her she would be ok. She wants me to come down. And I can't. I have to call her tomorrow morning and tell her that I can't be there for her or Dad. I warned her about this. I asked dh to take some time off work but he has a class tomorrow that has been on the books for 6 months. He can't reschedule. Dh suggested I leave Thursday and stay until Sunday but Dad is in the hospital RIGHT NOW. I don't know what to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, that's an awful feeling. :( I'll be thinking of your parents and you. P&PT and all that. *hugs*
-(Your stalker that's too lazy to log int)

Norm Deplume said...

I'm so sorry that your parents are having troubles, and that you cannot be there for them. It's such a horrid feeling. I'll be thinking of you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Susan. I know how hard it is not be able to be there when things are going on. Just know that you are supported. If you need anything, please let me know.

scdd said...

Thanks mamas. I was able to get down there on Wednesday and stayed until he got out of the hospital. :o)