1.22.2008

What a treat!

I took some hot water out for the birds this morning and was rewarded with a great show. A flock of Eastern Bluebirds stopped for a drink. They were absolutely gorgeous! I was only able to count 20 but there were many more flitting around that I couldn't keep up with. I took some meal worms out to them but they aren't used to me or the backyard so none of them stopped for a nosh. They were joined by a small flock of Cedar Waxwings...my ultimate favourite. What a sleek handsome bird. I'm always thrilled to see them as it happens so seldom. There were a couple of Blue Jays, a few goldfinches, a bazillion cardinals, some junkos, sparrows, and, believe it or not, some big fat Robins.

I made sure the feeder was full of black oil sunflower seeds but they really have plenty to eat around here with all the bird friendly plants I grow. Pyracantha, Calicarpa, Juniper, dogwoods, crabapple, holly, mahonia, Nandina, Burning Bush, Magnolias... I'll put some suet cakes out later. Weird, but I didn't see any Chickadees.

The rain barrel was frozen solid but the goldfish pond is totally free of ice. I have clear plastic over it with access points for the chickens, cats and dogs so they can drink. I'm surprised I haven't had the need for the heater. The plastic is held off the surface by pvc poles laid over top of the pond. Simple and effective. I saw Big Fish the other day and a group of the babies and they all seem fine.

Most of the cats are enjoying the warmth of the house again this morning. Another reason why I was blessed with the visit. Seeing those birds really lifted my spirits.

1 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

Bluebirds are such a sight. I love them too, but rarely see them around here.

I need Spring.