1.26.2008

News at 11:00...

Dh was able to duck the film crew this year. They managed to get to his office though and took a shot of a quote he blew up and pinned to his wall. Mat 7:7 He only has part of the quote:

Seek, and ye shall find.

Dh's boss told them not to air that shot but they did anyway. Why? Because it's purpose could be misinterpreted. While it has a benign meaning to dh, when put into the news story's context it could be interpreted by the viewers as contrivance.

I guess that could happen with any quote. People see what they want to see. If they think conspiracy, they'll find conspiracy. If they feel a statement is vituperative then they will respond with vitriol. It brings to mind another great quotation:

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Hamlet, Act II Scene ii

or, this one:

Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me. You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me.
Hamlet, Act II Scene ii

Man, Willie had it going on, didn't he?

0 comments: