8.01.2010

Apple stuffed Sweet Dumpling squash!


This post should be made on the Square Peg Mama blog but I thought I'd add it here, too, just to change pace from the usual bitching and moaning. I direct seeded this squash in my garden. It's called Sweet Dumpling. It's a vigorous vine and climbs well. Very productive. I spooned out the seeds and baked them in a small amount of water for 30 minutes. Then I stuffed them with apples, cranberries, raisins, butter, turbinado and brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and baked for 30 more minutes. I reserved the tops for a cute little lid. Too much? I don't know what it'll taste like but it really smelled good while it was cooking.

I also baked the last of the bread. It turned out great but I wish I could slash the crust the way they do with artisan bread at bakeries. I use a fresh razor blade but the dough is very moist, clinging to the blade. It ends up deflating the loaf. I guess I'll just have to keep on trying.

1 comments:

scdd said...

Just a note to say they tasted great! Even the kidlet enjoyed it.