7.23.2010

Dream a little dream....



I had the dream again last night. It's been awhile since I had it so it makes me wonder why it surfaced again. It starts out the same and generally ends the same. I'm at school. The community college usually, which I haven't seen the inside of (nor outside for that matter) for about fifteen years. I'm looking for my locker. I don't remember the number or the combination. Usually I'm late for a class. Accounting or stats or equally dreaded subject. I need my book and I know I haven't read the assignment or done the homework and I'll need the book to fake my way through. But I can't find the damned locker. Apparently it's a night class this time and I left my keys in my locker and I can't leave without them. Someone starts flicking the lights to signal time. The lockers are all different. Some are tall and narrow, others just little boxes. Some have combination locks like a safe. Others just masterlocks. Some nothing at all. Not even a number. I know the general area but can't pin down the specific locker.
People are moving past me in the dim light, heading for the stairs and the exit. Then a guy calls my name. But it's my old name, the one associated with my previous life, a life I left behind years ago. I don't recognize him and tell him he's mistaken me for someone else. He says it's not safe around there any more. He starts talking about his wife, his brother-in-law. Meanwhile, I'm scanning the walls trying to find the locker so I can leave. I think about projects that I managed to skirt around and never complete. Major projects required for school. I wonder how I was able to graduate without doing them. I pass the same people in the hallway again and again and wonder if they notice me. I find a light switch and turn them back on so I can see what I'm doing. It doesn't help. And then I wake up.
I wonder what exactly my subconscious is searching for when I have this dream. I never seem to find it.

0 comments: