8.23.2010

Monday - on vacation

Got up relatively early (for me anyway) for the continental breakfast. Looked like a bus from assisted living had beat us to it. I don't think anyone under the age of 70 is staying at this resort besides us. We snagged a couple of eclairs and headed outside. I managed to get a cup of coffee, too. On the way back to the room I grabbed an apple. You never know. We decided to go back to Crabtree Falls for a hike. We got rained out the other day. The weather today was brilliant. Not fifty yards into the trek I twisted my ankle and took a header. Bloodied up my knee and palm on the gravel path. Brushed it off with "it's merely a flesh wound" and continued on. Twisted the same ankle again but retained my footing and dignity that time. A mile later we got to the falls. Absolutely gorgeous. We found a place to sit and had lunch and watched a group of people and their dog playing in the water. Another couple was creeping down the trail as we were getting ready to leave. He looked about 80. She appeared much younger but was totally unsuited for the treacherous terrain. We found ourselves wondering how in hell they were ever going to get out of there alive. So we left because that's how we roll. The "less strenuous" 1.6 mile return loop seemed to be the best bet. It took a long time. Heart attack pending and all. I ended up twisting my left ankle as well before finally crawling to the car.
Stopped at AltaPass Apple Orchard on the way back to our room. Bought a big bag of Red Blaze apples (?) and a pound of Damson plums. Splurged on monstrous ice cream cones while watching the hive of bees sandwiched between glass. Busy as a bee has new meaning. The kidlet really hogged into her cone. Chocolate Moose Tracks all over her face. We had fun.
Finally got back to the resort...almost in one piece. Tomorrow...something easier for a change.

0 comments: