8.22.2010

Sunday - on vacation

Ok, I soundly trounced the husband at cards. I was merciless. We switched to Scattergories and seem to be equally matched on it. That will be the pasttime for this evening while lounging on the upper balcony sipping beers and Matthew Fox wine. It may be two buck chuck, I don't know. I wish there was wifi in the room but I guess if there was a hookup the kidlet would be playing Runescape the whole week.
About the weather? The sun shone brightly all day. It's still shining at about 5:15. So much for the awful forecast. We packed lunch and hit a trail. I forgot my USB cable for the camera or else I would post a pic of the view from the top of the trail. Gorgeous! Saw lots of wild flowers, ferns, etc. We ate lunch on the summit, a wind swept barren slab of rock for the most part. Small, scraggly pine trees clung to the crevices in the rocks. I can imagine how harsh the climate is in the dead of winter.
After that we walked around a lake. 2.3 miles worth, through forest, and marshy laurel hells. We encountered a beaver colony with a series of elevated ponds. I wonder if the forest service guys pull the dams down like my dad does. They live at a 12 acre lake with all sorts of wildlife that my dad wishes to obliterate for whatever reason. My opinion: its like going to a concert and expecting it to be quiet. Anyway, it was a lovely day. I'm tired but happy. We'll have pizza for dinner, a hot shower with the Turk2000 shower head that strips off the top ten layers of skin, and then a relaxing read....Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I wish this place still had their hot tub. That would feel good right about now. More tomorrow if I survive it.

0 comments: