2.11.2008

I have seedlings!


The Lunaria seeds I planted a week ago have broken ground, their little green elbows poking up thru the soil. I'm surprised. I didn't put them in the freezer. I can't remember if I harvested the seeds last fall or the year before. Lunaria seeds don't keep well, viability drops off quickly. I sowed them in a recycled mini cupcake tray from Ukrops. 12 cells. Not all have germinated yet and I don't expect all of them to make it but I have high hopes. Lunaria, or Money Plant, is a pretty little biennial with purple flowers. It grows best in shade.

None of the Principe Borghese tomatoes have germinated yet but I sowed them later than the Lunaria.

4 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

My Principe Borgese seeds took a long time to germinate last year, iirc. I was sure they were not going to sprout, then all of a sudden, I had more than I knew what to do with.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty picture!

Missy said...

crap. my long post was eaten alive. I love honesty/money plant. Do they spread once established? I think those purple flowers are gorgeous. I also think that those "invasive" purple plants are gorgeous too. Gooseneck longstrife? I think they are endangering water population?

You are very attentive with your garden. When it is 3 degrees outside, I hardly think about gardens.

scdd said...

Missy, When it's 3 degrees out it's the best time to think about gardening. ;o)
I guess the lunaria would spread if it didn't get trampled all the time. It seems very forgiving. I'll save you some seeds!

Robin, I hope you tried drying them. They're great on top of pizza!