2.14.2008

A Blast from my past.....

Paul. OMG. I knew him back in the 80s when gravity hadn't taken it's toll on me yet. I was working as a cocktail waitress at The Tobacco Exchange and going to college for computer programming. He was a regular happy hour customer. He had smoldering good looks and was well versed in the classics. And I was an idiot. I was engaged to a cheating alcoholic who treated me like shit. Tom, the fiance, hated him and thought I was cheating on him with Paul. I didn't. I thought about it though. Often. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm. I still have his photo. He's wearing a tux and a hint of a smile. I can still smell his cologne.

I got a card from him in the mail today. He said he "googled" me. I can't tell you how many times I've googled him over the years but never found him. We used to correspond after I graduated and moved up north. He said he found my old letters and decided to find me. I think the last time I saw him was at my old house, Sweet Apple. He dropped by one night with a bottle of wine and we listened to A Christmas Carol performed by Patrick Stewart. It was surreal. He had gotten married and was living in Georgia but was passing thru town on his yearly pilgrimage to the bay. He always seemed so troubled, in desparate need for someone to listen. He was an aspiring writer and I often looked to see if he had ever published. When I think of him, I think of Poe. That dark. That mysterious. That brilliant.
Wow.

0 comments: