2.19.2008

Domestic banality

I seeded one of the flats this morning. Finally. Sweet Bell Peppers, Purple Coneflower, Tiny Tiger tomatoes, Pink Brandywine tomatoes. The flat of Principe Borghese tomato seedlings is doing well. I move them around from sunny sill to sunny sill. The lunaria, of which all twelve germinated, are getting really leggy. I need to get them under the lights today.
I still need to sow rudbeckia and veronica speedwell. Later.

Yesterday was a picture of domestic bliss. I took the kidlet to the open skate at skate-away. OMGosh, it was like walking into "there was an old lady who lived in a shoe"... A hundred screaming kids, skating at breakneck speed in reckless abandon, in a dark room with loud rap music and the heavy smell of feet... mixed with the unpleasant aroma of melted nacho cheese on corn tortillas. Wug. Everywhere I looked I saw kids wiping snot on the backs of their hands. The place was an upholstered toilet. Dd loved it. For a short while she hung out with "Badboy Nate" from down the road. Dh & I call him "The Pisser". He's not allowed to come to our house anymore.

After about an hour of skating some kid slammed into dd and broke her skate. I couldn't fix it. She cried. We went to the pro shop to see if they could fix it. The kid in there said it couldn't be fixed and she wouldn't be able to use the skates in the rink even if it could. I was like, dude, she's been skating for over an hour already... I promised the kidlet I'd get her a new pair.

After skating we went to Goodwill. Mainly to see if they had a pair of skates that would fit dd. They usually do but they had just gotten done with a remodel and all the sporting goods stuff was gone. We got some books instead. I picked up some more restaurantware as well. I can't help myself.

It was almost more excitement than I can stand.

1 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

I spent so very many hours roller skating when I was a kid. My grandmother would take me, and just sit for the whole two hours, watching me go round and round and round. I don't know if I love my kids enough to do that, lol.