9.16.2010

Tempus is a'fugiting


Autumn looks like it is well underway. The leaves are starting to change and fall. The crickets are raising hell outside my bedroom window at night. Soccer season started. I'm still waiting for people to break out the plaid. I always associate September with the Royal Stewart tartan. I don't know why. It's not my clan.
I can hear the wind tossing the maple limbs around. The sky was a beautiful crisp blue this morning with feathery wisps of cirrus clouds. Hopefully the rain they promise will be enough to fill my rain barrels. They're all but empty now. I have one full barrel left and that's off limits due to the tadpole population that made it home at the beginning of the summer.
We're in the middle of renovating the foundation plantings on the front of the house. The boxwood and azaleas are dying. We pulled some out to discover that the entire bed was lined with two layers of a very tough plastic. The dirt and mulch that covered it (over a forty year period no doubt) got all of the fertilizer and water but the roots of the shrubs were bone dry beneath the plastic. Brilliant. So for the past few days I've been picking up plants at Lowes to replace them. I've got the basic plan in my head but I better put it to paper to make sure everything is spaced properly. Anything would have to be better than what was there before. Boring! Guess I better get out there and start digging out the old roots. Tempus Fugit...time flees!

0 comments: