7.08.2010

Tasers for everybody!

Got home a little while ago from the best book club meeting ever. We read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Not a particularly riveting read. I kept looking for the deep meaning that was sure to be hidden in the tale but didn't find it. It was kind of like reading a passage from The Secret. The universe conspires to make your dreams come true sort of thing. The ending also had a Dorothy Gale finds herself back in Kansas aspect to it which didn't do a thing for me. I don't want to ruin it for you. Anyway, the discussion of the book took very little time. None the less, we were able to keep up a steady banter for over two hours. The conversation swept from one topic to the next with dizzying speed. Tasers, Ted Bundy, and why Velma never had a boyfriend on Scooby-do were all covered. At one point I thought we were going to witness a cage match between two ladies who were heavily debating the lawfulness of gunning someone down in your own home. We didn't quite manage to get hermaphroditism into the conversation but it wasn't from lack of trying. Or opportunity. It was no holds barred. It makes me a little sad that we only meet once a month. But I guess it's safer that way. Like one lady said tonight, "I get the feeling we're going to end up getting arrested."

0 comments: