9.16.2007

I wonder....

I wonder what happened to my parents. I remember back in the 60's my mom would take art lessons, she was a den mother for the cub scouts, and she had friends. We had a house that could have graced the pages of any architectural magazine. It was quite a showplace and my dad built it. I remember we used to visit the Grosses at their greenhouse and the Martin's up the hill. The Baker's and the Reiling's. Right across the dirt road, Black Brook Road, was the house where dad was born. A mile down the road there was a dairy farm.
Then one day someone bought the tract of land next to our place and built a house right on the property line. Then the Bowers' sold their dairy farm to a housing developer and a huge subdivision was carved out of the fields. My parents decided to move.
We bought a farm in upstate PA. 437 acres. The nearest neighbour was exactly one mile away. Our mailbox was two miles away. Interestingly enough the Reilings had also moved to the same area a year or two before. We met new people. The Barkers. The Cornells. Most of the families were related somehow. Mom would have a craft day so the little Cornell girls could come over and I'd have someone to play with. But that didn't last too long. Pretty soon it was just me and my pony. I can't remember spending too much time with my brother. After that it was a flurry of moving back and forth. NJ, PA, VA, NC. Somewhere along the line my mom started taking art classes again. The old neighbours from the house in Jersey, the Grosses and the Bakers, all live within 30 minutes of them now in VA. My NJ cousin's widow lives about 45 minutes away. My mom's sister and her huge family live about 45 minutes away. And my cousin, from NJ, lives probably 20 minutes from me here in VA but hasn't spoken to me in years.
It's weird how we were surrounded by the same people throughout my lifetime no matter where we moved.
The irony of this is that my parents do not consider any of these people friends but merely acquaintances. Exactly how many years does one need to socialize with someone before they are considered a friend?
So, how did my parents get to where they are now? They have isolated themselves and have no "friends". They have become hoarders despite having moved umpteen times. I don't get it.

0 comments: