5.16.2008

Lastest news from the back 40


This is what I planted yesterday:
cocozelle squash
lemon squash
striata d'italia squash
summer crookneck squash
Mexican Sour Gherkins
Sweet Basil

A couple of days before, when we had a brief break in the rain, I planted lemon cucumbers. I transplanted my Principe Borghese tomatoes, too. I hope they survive. I'm running out of the ones I put in the freezer. I also spent a great deal of time weeding around my beets. Apparently it cleared the way for the chickens for they ate every single beet leaf in sight. I keep reminding them that they aren't too old for the pressure cooker but they know I wouldn't go thru with it. Miserable birds. I'll have to put a fence up around the garden. I'll love to get all stylish and have split rail with box wire on the bottom but that won't happen. I'll probably end up stringing chicken wire around the perimeter with rebar posts. Lovely. Cheap. Dh is all about the cheap. Hells Bells, I can't even get him to spring for FREE landscape timbers or railroad ties.

I guess it's time to sow another couple rows of stringbeans. It rained this morning so I can't really get in the garden today. I did all of my weeding yesterday so nothing to do there. I guess I'll peruse craigs list to see if anyone has any mulch they are willing to part with on the cheap.

0 comments: