5.17.2010

Too Many Books, Too Little Time

I started reading three novels yesterday. I couldn't help it. They were in my hands and the words just rolled off the pages. I started with Patricia Cornwell's debut novel, Post Mortem . The action starts right away. A dark and stormy night complete with dead body. What's not to love? I put that down long enough to pick up The Outsiders, a classic teen novel written by S. E. Hinton who was sixteen or seventeen when she wrote it. Ponyboy pulled me into his world immediately. The husband was appalled that I had never read the book and retrieved his ratty old paperback copy from the garage. He had wrapped the book's covers with tape but that really didn't do much to preserve it.
The third novel, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was my choice for a long read last night. It's a young adult novel, very reminiscent of The City of Ember by Jean DuPrau. Both set in Post Apocalyptic environments. Not too far-fetched considering our current state. I'm looking forward to getting back into it after work today.
Scored big yesterday with three huge bookcases from the husband's aunt and uncle. Thank you Dot & Ken! Plus, I got a stack of Patricia Cornwell novels. Seven new titles to add to my collection. I've got a lot of reading to do!
I've got a couple non-fiction books in the works as well. Naming the World, edited by Bret Anthony Johnston and The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Storytellers & Screenwriters by Christopher Vogler. Both excellent books on the art of creative writing.
So, like the title of this blog post states, "too many books, too little time". The sooner I get to work the sooner I get to read. I'm taking on the kidlet's room today. I may not surface for days.

0 comments: