1.19.2009

I've learned my lesson

I am so disappointed in myself. Two years ago I started a project. I knew I could do it and I convinced my husband I could do it. And for the most part I did do it. But I ran out of steam and began to doubt my abilities.

The shower in the master bedroom was leaking when we bought the house. We did a quick "bandaid" type fix until I felt sufficiently well read on the subject. Demolition uncovered some questionable framing. I had to rebuild it from the subfloor on up....from scratch. I poured and presloped the concrete base. Installed the liner. Framed and built the curb, poured the floor, hung the concrete backerboard, taped and tiled the three walls within three courses of the ceiling, and tiled the shower floor. My measurements were precise and few cuts had to be made. I had three tiles that I wasn't able to cut myself since I only have a snap cutter. I started to tile the curb and that's when the doubt hit me. I was almost home! Three more courses of tile to the ceiling and completion of the curb. Cake and Pie. But what if I did it wrong? The impasse was huge! It loomed the height of the shower itself. It wasn't perfect. I couldn't go forward through the fear and doubt so the shower sat unfinished. No better than the previous shower since neither could be used.

Finally, in shame, I agreed to let my husband hire a professional tiler to finish the job. He's late again this morning...the fourth day of a two-day job which promises to stretch into next week as well. Not because my work was bad. It wasn't. You can tell where I stopped tiling and he started. He wasn't as careful with his lines as I was. He failed to check the surface plane as well. My bad. I should have done those last three courses. It would have taken no time at all. It was just hard work since it was way over my head and really put a strain on my back. The same with the curb. There were no fancy cuts there. I had already presloped the curb so the only thing left was to lay the tile.

The only thing left to do is to grout it and seal it. So, here I sit waiting for a contractor when I have the knowledge and ability to do it myself but lacked the confidence and therefore the motivation to finish it myself.

I'm so disappointed.

*That was written a couple of days ago. The job was finished today. There are a few places I need to touch up on the grout but otherwise it is done. All that is left is for me to spackle the ceiling, prime it and paint it, attach the fixtures in the shower stall, and add some trim around the outside course of tile to hide the cut edges. After that I'll need to tile the floor, tile the countertop, and paint the walls. I promise you it will not take two flipping years!
A photo will be added later.

0 comments: