4.21.2008

Law of Attraction. Really?

Here is the story about the check as promised.

As mentioned at Square Peg I recently read The Secret. The same basic idea stated over and over again only worded slightly different from one page to the next. I borrowed the video from the library as well. Basically an audio of the book.
I've been known to have some far out ideas but at least I'm solid enough and logically inclined to appreciate that you can't always get what you want. That's pretty much diametrically opposed to the Secret's message. If you want it enough and believe you already have it then the universe will give it to you. Riiiight. So...where's my check for $500.00? (I decided to start small as the book suggested. You know, a test run sort of thing.)

I meditated (as I was sitting outside getting my daily intake of vitamin D) and envisioned myself receiving a check in the mail in the amount of $500.00. I felt the check in my hand. Saw the watermark on the paper. Thought about what I would use the money for. I was certain I would receive the check. It was just a matter of "when", not "if". I told my daughter about the check that was coming. She told Skip. Skip scoffed. He wanted to know who was sending us a check for $500. I told him I didn't know but it would be within a week. Dd filled him in on THE SECRET. (She's probably wishing for a pony, snake or little brother right now. Dream on, kid.)

On Monday I announced the check would arrive on Wednesday. I kept up the banter. On Tuesday I announced the check would arrive the next day. Hahahahaha.
On Wednesday I took the mail out of the mailbox and flipped through the group of letters. One was addressed to me. It was a check for $1,300.00. Dd flipped out. The tiny print along the right margin of the check was the only giveaway. "This is not a real check". It was a travel voucher to use if we upgraded a three day cruise that was TOTALLY FREE for Skip and I.

Funny stuff. It would have been hilarious if it was for $500.00! So, did the Law of Attraction work? I got a real enough looking "check" in the mail on the day I envisioned it. Coincidence? Or was the universe just toying with me? ;o)

0 comments: