12.19.2005

The quiet before the storm...

Thought I'd sneak in a coffee before my world is set askew. Dd gets home from school soon and it will be utter chaos here. It's not exactly quiet...the little rooster wants back in the house so bad. He and his brother keep crowing at each other. I had the gray rooster out for a bit. Long enough to clean his house and load him back in. Both feet are shot now and he tips over on his nose when he tries to stand. I don't know what to do with him. I'm going to see if the gang will let the black rooster shack up with them tonight. There really isn't room for both of them in the box now. He'll probably be scared but he'll get over it. I have a feeling I'll have to gurk his brother anyway. The quality of life for a paralyzed chicken probably isn't that great.

Not much else going on. Went to the annual Christmas White Elephant Soiree yesterday. ACK! No booze to be had. Of course, it was only noon. It really wasn't any fun. Dd didn't want to have anything to do with her cousins. I imagine they are still trying to get her to do things. Little bastards. FIL wasn't speaking to anyone. I made a point of walking up to him and speaking pleasantly even though I wanted to tell him to go fuck himself. Dh ignored him. It was so bad that FIL only hit the chow line once because we were sitting right next to it and dh was facing it. At least that's my take on it. FIL has NEVER stopped at one plate before now. All in all it was very uncomfortable. The white elephant gifts this year were crappy. They get cheaper and cheaper every year and now that the little kids are involved we can't "steal" gifts because the kids cry. Granddad "stole" a bag of candy that Matt opened and he started crying so Ann gave it back. Plus, the kids take so long that it really drags it out. My choice turned out to be a bottle of wine and I got to keep it. I thought it was one of the better gifts out there. At least it has a cork.
We gave a set of his and her's dress watches...with diamonds on the face. We've had them for ages and will never use them so we thought we'd class up the game. Scott and Missy brought something from their stash of wedding gifts. Scott proclaimed that they had a closet full of the stuff. You could tell Missy was embarrassed. She finally said that the things just weren't their style. Way to go there...every person in the room had gone to their wedding and given them a gift. Some people have no class whatsoever. She still won't speak to me unless I speak first. I guess I'm beneath her since her family is so fabulously wealthy.

Well, school's out. *sigh* Blessed calm, I'll see you tomorrow...

0 comments: