12.05.2005

gingersnaps and hot lemonade

Some things go really well together. Some don't. Dh can eat a combo of anything. It doesn't matter to him. He'll eat spaghetti with a side of oatmeal. He doesn't care. For me, though, there has to be some semblance of aesthetics...visually as well as good taste. For instance, who is the genius behind peanut butter on celery? Dh could live off of it. It's totally illogical to me and not the least bit appetizing. However, he finds my habit of applesauce on french fries disgusting. That's nothing I just dreamed up on my own. People have been eating potato latkes with applesauce for ages.
Here in the south (aka Virginia) I've seen tons of people putting salt on their apples. All I can say is WTF? But those same people think that the Northern habit of eating sharp cheddar with a hot slice of apple pie is bizarre.
Back when I was still in highschool I was employed as the cook for a tiny tiny restaurant on highway 58. It was simply called THE Restaurant. The cook who trained me put bacon grease in everything. Her husband would come in everyday guzzling a mountain dew with peanuts in it. Twentysix years later and I still can't wrap my head around that one.
Mint flavoured ice cream is another one I don't get. Dh loves it. It tastes like toothpaste to me and mint toothpaste makes me gag. How in hell he can sit there and shovel down a heaping bowlful of that swill is beyond me. Meanwhile, common condiments give him the heebie-jeebies. Mayo is his cryptonite...or whatever was superman's achilles heel. I think I could even get him to puke just by talking about it. That will be an experiment for another time.

0 comments: