10.20.2010

Like Chocolate for Water


Last night my daughter asked me, "What if it rained chocolate?" I told her I'd be outside with the biggest bucket I could find. I further postulated that if chocolate did indeed rain down by the bucketsful then we would most likely be sick of it. It would become commonplace. She shrugged and took another nibble of her mini Krackel ® bar. It was a silly thought. Pure silliness without a hint of an inner critic.
I wonder what happens to people to make them one day start questioning the practicality of their thoughts. Maybe my daughter will ask a classmate the same question and they'll tell her it's stupid. I guess that's how it may start. It's a shame. As a writer-wannabe I'm always asking myself 'what if' questions trying to come up with a story idea. Most are shot down as "stupid" by my inner critic. Others hit the "it's been done" barricade. I'm sure many flutter at the edges of my brain like ghosts, just wisps of an amorphous thought, and evaporate before I can grab them. Like dreams that fall apart upon waking.
In less than two weeks NaNoWriMo will be in full swing. I should be working on an outline. I've got nothing. Maybe if I eat a bunch of these mini chocolate bars something will come to me...besides five extra pounds around my waistline.

0 comments: