10.11.2010

NaNo Panic


November is coming up quickly and I don't have a solid story idea yet. I've been running 'what ifs' through my head for weeks now and coming up dry. I thought maybe a Dylan-centric novel that could possibly tie in with The Paradoxical Sleep, which was last year's NaNo novel. (Unfinished at 35K) Or maybe Jennifer Runyon, the female lead, could move on to a new adventure. Perhaps she and Winston go on to solve other murders with Chuck the incredible cadaver dog. What if they are called to an old house or hotel or whatever that is purported to be haunted and they are hired to find any human remains. Come up with the solution and work backwards to the crime. Maybe write a story with Dylan and his ability to see flashes of the future. Maybe he moves quite a bit so he doesn't get to know the people who die violently in his visions. Maybe he doesn't watch the news anymore because he's tired of seeing the aftermath of things he wished he could change. He got tired of being treated like a terrorist whenever he would try to stop the inevitable chain of events that came to him without warning.
It seems like each major player has pulled back from other people for different reasons. Winston because of the failed rescue attempt of a little girl. Jennifer because she lost her Marine boyfriend in Iraq. Dylan because death follows him.
I need to come up with a loose outline this time. Last year was way too chaotic for me. I've got three weeks to come up with an idea. The pressure!

1 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

You can do it! I'm torn with coming up with a brand new idea or just turning the script I wrote for ScriptFrenzy into a novel. I love starting a new project, but it'd be nice having the framework of the script to help me in November, plus it's a story that I can really add to if I choose. *sigh* You can always go to the forum for some inspiration! Are you going to the kick of party?