7.25.2009


We need rain. A good day long goosedrowner. I've got a garden bed that needs to be turned over and prepared for the fall planting but it's like concrete despite all the organic matter that I incorporated into the soil this spring. When it gets really hot everything stops growing. I had a phenomenal crop of Mexican Bean Beetle larvae. The potatoes are pretty much done so I'll be harvesting them in a couple of weeks. I guess my best crop this year (so far) has to be the mini pumpkins. Two plants and maybe twenty beautiful little pumpkins. I think dd brought one home when her daycare went to the pumpkin patch on a field trip. Six years ago? I've got them growing on the head board of an antique iron bed. Very cool. The foot board, shown above, is covered by lemon cucumbers.
I've got to devise some way to get the water from the rain barrels to the garden---about 75 feet away. Lugging bucket after bucket to the garden just isn't cutting it. Especially when it's 90 degrees and humidity is at 70%. Excellent way to have a heat stroke. I was able to run a garden hose out one time by priming it with the aquarium vacuum but it only produced a trickle and quit altogether when the barrel level fell to a certain point. Perhaps if the barrel was elevated the gravity feed would be enough. However, I'm not about to dump the barrel in order to get it on a platform. Who knows when we'll get enough rain to refill the barrels. So far we've been lucky.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your blog! Great pictures as well. Kudos to you. Keep that Victory Garden growing and you are so right about raising the height of your barrel so gravity will allow that water to flow from the bottom at a faster rate. My hubby found a water pump that attached to an "electric drill" and is fastened to a water hose to remove water from our rain barrel that also has zero gravity. We were able to water our garden (only 20 feet away) with this hose. He says you can buy larger water pumps that would take it the 75' you need at Lowes', Home Depot, or Sears. Let your fingers do the walking over the internet to see if you can find one before wasting gas looking for it! Speaking of going to the internet, please visit us at www.GutterClutterBuster.com & see our newly invented, patent pending, American Made, rain gutter cleaning tool to keep your gutters squeaky clean. "The water going into your rain barrel is only as clean as the water coming out of your gutters. The cleaner the gutter, the cleaning the water. Hope, I've been a "tiny" bit of help. Keep Up The Good Work! Stay safe, stay well, and Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled and God Bless America!
PS I'll send you another website to see how you can connect two barrels together for added rain water, if needed.