6.22.2010

This is your brain. This is your brain during summer.


I've been dragging around all day going from one thing to the next. Not really accomplishing anything. The higher the heat index, the lower my ability to focus. It doesn't help to have the kidlet coming around every 3 minutes announcing that she can't wait to go to Grandma's house. The husband is home as well. Recuperating from a doctor's visit last week. My brain can't be still with the constant soccer vuvuzela background or wii noise. He had two tvs going today with the same thing on them. I thought my head was going to explode. I went outside and tried to read for awhile in the swing but the bugs started attacking like lions after wildebeest at the watering hole. There's just no place in this shoebox house to go to get quiet.
It may not be just my heat soaked brain though. I'm reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for bookclub. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the book is so popular. So far it's dry as toast. I'm not even halfway through though. Maybe it gets better. But sitting in the swing in the furnace-like heat with invisible mini-beasties gnawing on my flesh is not conducive to concentration. Perhaps I'm spending too much effort in trying to find meaning and symbolism in the book. Maybe I should just let it wash over me like art. Maybe I should move on to another book from the humongous TBR pile next to my bed. I need to read a good nail biter. I just finished Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell. It was her first. It won a bunch of awards. I hated the ending. You pretty much knew what was going to happen but learning the identity of the killer was anticlimactic to say the least. Hardly whets my appetite to dive into her other tomes if she follows the same MO. Meanwhile my own work of utter genius lies dormant in my little red bag. I need to get everything printed out. If I see it, can shift it, and play with the flow of action, then I'm sure the rest of the story will come rushing out in a flood, spilling onto my computer screen. I'll look into that this week...when the temperatures soar to 100 degrees or more and my attention span shrinks to nearly coma-like levels.

0 comments: