3.17.2005

Freaking Telemarketers!

They're not really telemarketers....it's the sheriff's department, or the state police, or the fire dept retirement fund. Holy shit! They call all the freaking time. Last night around 8:30 the state police called. Dh told them he was eating dinner. Just a minute ago the phone rang. I picked it up. Dead silence. I almost hung up as I usually do because that's a sure sign of a computer placed call. Finally this deep monotone voice comes on the line and says "is this Mrs. XXXXX?" (The voice was eerily familiar....like the voice that woke Elaine Benes up in the middle of the night from the AMA.) I said yes. The monotone started the spiel. I interrupted and said "Look, we already got a call last night." The voice said "Are you going to make a contribution today?" I said no. Silence. Finally the voice said 'fine' and hung up.

The day before yesterday I got a call from the sheriff's department. The man asked me how I would feel if my child disappeared. WTF??? He then proceeded to talk about how much money I could contribute to wtf-ever he was trying to promote. I said he could send me any paperwork involved but that I wasn't going to commit to a dollar figure on tape...he said I was being recorded. He continued to pump me for a contribution. I said if you send me the paperwork I'll send something in but I will not give you a dollar figure over the phone. He said thanks and hung up. Jesus. If I don't give them at least $20 they don't want anything? WTF is up with that?

Even if you say no to these people they still call back every freaking day. I'm to the point that I don't want to answer the phone anymore. Who does one complain to about something like this? I pay so much money per month just for the privelege of having my phone hooked up and I have to deal with this shit? Grrrrr!

0 comments: